Saturday, June 22, 2013

Mango-Pineapple Jalapeño Chutney

Yum
With mango season in full swing and a basket full of mangoes, picked fresh from my Godmother's mango tree, there is no shortage of yummy recipes to concoct. I am not big into sweets but I do love savory and sweet combinations. I've had this chutney in mind since I saw my first jalapeño pepper springing to life and turning into a deep fiery red on the plant. Luckily, I had mangoes and one petite pineapple on hand right when it was time to pluck that fiery little gem. Use it on anything you can think of ... yes, even ice cream ... I recommend vanilla!







Makes one 1/2 pint

2 tablespoons hazelnut oil or canola oil
3 shallots, halved and cut into half moons
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cardamon
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 mango, peeled and diced
2 small slices pineapple, diced
1-2 Jalapeños or to taste, seeded, and finely chopped
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Salt & Pepper to taste

Note: I use the whole form of the cinnamon, cardamon, allspice and coriander and grind it up in my coffee grinder, and grate the nutmeg in, but using the ready to use ground version is perfectly fine too!

Heat the oil in a stainless steel skillet over medium heat, add shallots., and gently cook for 2-3 minutes then sprinkle in all your spices, cooking for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Cooking your spices will deepen and infuse their flavor into the chutney. Add the mango, pineapple, jalapeño and cook for 2 minutes then stir in sugar and balsamic. Cook at medium low until most of the liquid is absorbed and the ingredients are well blended, and it has a jam like consistency. Salt and pepper to taste. Allow to cool and spoon into a pretty glass storage jar.

Serve over anything you think the chutney will compliment.  I especially love it over fish, chicken, duck and pork. ENJOY!

Click here for my Sunny Saffron Mango Jam recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment