Monday, July 13, 2015

Baked Custard-y Zucchini and Squash

Yum
Baked Zucchini Yellow Squash, Cheese Eggs Custard



Like most individuals I hate waste, especially when it comes to food.  It pains me to throw out food because it has gone bad because I just didn't have time to get to it.

I had two zucchinis and two yellow squash in the veggie bin and I knew that once the work week hit, they were not getting used.  Their end was getting closer.

While I made my Pasta with Chicken Sausage and Portobello Mushrooms (recipe coming next Monday), I figured why not just go ahead and make something with the squashes. I was chopping veggies up anyway, what difference did it make if I chopped a few more.

So I sliced and diced away and this is what resulted from a very quick impromptu, on the spot, made it up as I went, vegetable side dish. I wanted cheesy and I wanted something a little creamy and custardy. That's a lot of "eee"s or is that "y's"!

Did I mention it turned out delicious? No?

Well, it did and the Hub, you remember him - the ever present food barometer, he had thirds and took the rest for lunch the next day.

Serves 4 - 6
  • 2 zucchinis, sliced on the diagonal
  • 2 yellow squash, sliced on the diagonal
  • 2/3 cup of heavy cream or half and half
  • 1/2 cup egg whites (like egg beaters)
  • 3/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese PLUS 1/2 cup reserved and set aside
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • Pinch of grated nutmeg
  • 6 slices provolone cheese
  1. Preheat oven at 375 degreesF
  2. Spray a 11" x 7" baking dish with non-stick spray.
  3. Place zucchini and squash in dish
  4. In a medium sized bowl add cream, whites, 3/4 cup of Parmesan, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir until well incorporated and pour over vegetables in baking dish
  5. Sprinkle the reserved Parmesan over top and bake for 40 minutes
  6. Top with provolone cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and just slightly browned.  


Serve with an arugula salad dressed with my  Roasted Garlic Lemon-Dijon Vinaigrette , warm, toasted baguette and a crisp white wine.  Perfect for a simple lunch or light dinner.

Recipe Notes:
Want to cut the fat and not use heavy cream? Use fat free half & half, it works just fine.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent dish Jackie! We often bake zucchinis in countless variations, most of them having a tomato sauce and/or olive oil.
    We never tried zucchini with cream though; So you just gave us another fantastic option!:)
    We have some high quality kefalotyri in the fridge which is very similar to provolone so we'll cook this tomorrow. We came back from Evia on Sunday night, bringing fresh zucchinis and other veggies from Panos' parents garden there, so we can't wait to try this!
    Have a beautiful day!
    Panos and Mirella
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you once again for your continued support. You and Panos are such an inspiration to me. I do hope you enjoy the recipe. I can only imagine that it will be even better with fresh from the farm vegetables. A substitution of cheese is perfectly fine, it's more about the concept of the dish.
      Have a blessed day. :-D
      Jackie

      Delete