Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Easy Does It Baked Corn Tortilla Chips

Yum
A Two for Tuesday Recipe

Generally speaking, I do not keep junk food in the house, especially chips. So, if I am in the mood for tortilla chips and I have corn tortilla, I am in good shape and I make them myself. These are very easy and simple to prepare and are baked not fried. I actually prefer them to the fried version, because they hold up better and don't turn to mush in chilies or soups. Serve them with your favorite salsa or use in a salad or crumbled into chili like my Creamy White Bean and Chicken Chili. Personally, one of my favorite way to enjoy these chips is with a dollop of crema, one cilantro leaf and a drop or two of habanero hot sauce. It's the perfect little bite!





1 package of white corn tortillas
Cooking spray or 1/4 cup canola oil
Coarse kosher or sea salt
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F

Stack your tortillas, cut in half, then in quarters and finally in eighths.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place tortilla in a single layer. Do not overlap.
Spray or brush with oil.
Sprinkle with salt.

Bake 10 - 15 minutes until crispy but not burnt. Rotate the baking sheet half way through the cooking time. Keep an eye on the chips as they start getting closer to the10 minutes cooking time to avoid burning. Allow to cool and store in an airtight container.

Recipe tips:
The moment the chips come out of the oven is the time to add any extra seasonings you may like. A few ideas; grate manchego cheese, sprinkle cayenne or chili powder over top,  or with an almost dry brush, very lightly dip in hot sauce of choice and dot chips for extra zing!

No comments:

Post a Comment