Not exactly a "diet" but more of an awareness of how much we eat (less) of certain body expanding and detrimental foods.
We are eating healthier proteins like fish, other sea-foods, chicken and leaner cuts of pork and "trying" (there's that word again) to limit our beef consumption to once a week. Easy for me, much harder for The Hub. Why? He's Nicaraguan and in Nicaragua beef is king.
We are also attempting to reduce our ("unhealthy") carb intake. Attempting ... haha. This is hard for both of us. I am convinced we are genetically hard-wired to consume vast amounts of rice with each and every meal. Yes, sometimes even breakfast!
But we are striving, churning towards "trying" and "attempting" and because of this I put together this recipe for yummy Lemon-Sage Tuna Steaks. Yes it has butter, but it's just a touch of butter, and of course a splash of white wine. Wine, I hear, is good for the heart.
What did The Hub think of the Tuna Steaks? His typical reply "this **** is good!".
That's always an honor.
Serves 2 - 4
4 tuna steaks
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 medium lemon - zested and juiced
1/4 cup white wine
5 fresh large sage leaves
- Season each side of the tuna steaks with salt, pepper and onion powder to taste.
- To a large flat bottomed skillet or grill pan, over low heat, add the oil and butter.
- Once butter melts, add the lemon zest and slowly cook to infuse the flavor into the oil about 2 minutes. The edges of the lemon should start to caramelize.
- Increase the heat to medium and add the sage leaves to crisp up. Once crisped remove sage and lemon zests from oil, set aside and allow to drain on paper towel.
- Crank up the heat of the pan and once sizzling add tuna steaks. Cook, per side for 1 to 1/2 minutes for medium rare center, 2 minutes for medium center, 3+ minutes to cook through. Remove from pan at desired doneness and set aside.
- Remove all but one tablespoon of oil/butter from the pan. Deglaze with lemon juice and white wine. Allow to reduce by half, remove from heat.
Serve with roasted vegetables and a glass of white wine. ENJOY!