Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Hearty Four-Bean & Kielbasa Soup

Yum
Beans, soup, chili, kielbasa hearty comfort food


In South Florida, there is no such thing as "winter," just occasional, beautiful, coldish days. The lowest it has been so far is probably 49 degree, which believe it or not, is freezing for us Floridians. We break out our boots, scarfs, turtlenecks, and large sweaters, it is the funniest thing. My boyfriend is from New York, so obviously this weather is a joke to him. He goes out in shorts and I just freak out, but I digress and the point of me bringing up the weather is that in the event of these random cold days I make yummy, comforting warm soups, thus this recipe. This I made when I got home from work on Thursday evening with no plan of what to make. I'm trying to consume less red meat, so I knew chili was out of the question but I did have turkey kielbasa sitting in the fridge begging to be used. I put flavors together in my head with the kielbasa, the beans and the spices and the result is this yummy soup! You can almost clear out your pantry with this recipe. Use what beans you may like as well as regular kielbasa instead of turkey. The next day it was just as delicious if not more since the spices had even more time to mingle. I hope you enjoy my impromptu soup and hope it'll help warm up your chilly nights!

Recipe:
Eryka on Wednesday with Eryka
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 16oz turkey kielbasa, sliced
1 onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 15.5oz can black beans
1 15.5oz can red kidney beans
1 15oz can pork and beans
1 8.3oz can baked beans
1 14.5oz can diced tomato
1 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
salt and pepper to taste

1. In a large stew pot, heat oil on medium. Add the onions, peppers and onions. Cook until fragrant and soft. Add the kielbasa; cook together for about 5 minutes.

2. In the same pan, add all the canned products with their juices (important: do NOT drain). Stir to combine. Follow with the tomato paste and all the spices.

3. Stir and bring everything to a boil then lower to a simmer. Simmer for about 45 minutes. Taste to check to seasonings. If ready, serve in bowls, top with your favorite cheese and enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. I love beans in soup, this looks and sounds perfect. Wow, 49 degrees would be a heat wave for me right now. Yesterday my car said that it was 23 below zero and I am sure that did not include the wind chill. But that is what I get for living in Minnesota. So a bowl of your soup would be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn I can't even begin to comprehend what 23 below is! I don't know how people manage to deal with that severity of cold. Yes I think this soup would help in bringing some of that extreme temperature down just a little!

      Delete
  2. Perfect for any cold day! Excellent recipe Eryka, we'll try it in the weekend:) Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let us know how you like it Little Cooking Tips! Thanks you as always for your kind words and support!

      Delete
    2. Forgot to tell you that we tried your delicious recipe and loved it!:) Fantastic work!

      Delete
    3. That is so great to hear Little Cooking Tips. Makes me very happy when I know someone enjoys a recipe posted on the site. I will let Eryka know since this is her recipe. Thank you so much for commenting and your continued support :-D

      Delete
    4. Little Cooking Tips thank so much for trying my recipe! Your kind words and support have motivated my mother and I through this blog experience. I'm so very glad you enjoyed it :-)

      Delete