Like most individuals I hate waste, especially when it comes to food. It pains me to throw out food because it has gone bad because I just didn't have time to get to it.
I had two zucchinis and two yellow squash in the veggie bin and I knew that once the work week hit, they were not getting used. Their end was getting closer.
While I made my Pasta with Chicken Sausage and Portobello Mushrooms (recipe coming next Monday), I figured why not just go ahead and make something with the squashes. I was chopping veggies up anyway, what difference did it make if I chopped a few more.
So I sliced and diced away and this is what resulted from a very quick impromptu, on the spot, made it up as I went, vegetable side dish. I wanted cheesy and I wanted something a little creamy and custardy. That's a lot of "eee"s or is that "y's"!
Did I mention it turned out delicious? No?
Well, it did and the Hub, you remember him - the ever present food barometer, he had thirds and took the rest for lunch the next day.
Serves 4 - 6
- 2 zucchinis, sliced on the diagonal
- 2 yellow squash, sliced on the diagonal
- 2/3 cup of heavy cream or half and half
- 1/2 cup egg whites (like egg beaters)
- 3/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese PLUS 1/2 cup reserved and set aside
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat oven at 375 degreesF
- Spray a 11" x 7" baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Place zucchini and squash in dish
- In a medium sized bowl add cream, whites, 3/4 cup of Parmesan, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir until well incorporated and pour over vegetables in baking dish
- Sprinkle the reserved Parmesan over top and bake for 40 minutes
- Top with provolone cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and just slightly browned.
Serve with an arugula salad dressed with my Roasted Garlic Lemon-Dijon Vinaigrette , warm, toasted baguette and a crisp white wine. Perfect for a simple lunch or light dinner.
Want to cut the fat and not use heavy cream? Use fat free half & half, it works just fine.