Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Easy, Saucey Cube Steak

Yum
A Two for Tuesday Recipe 

Steak terrifies me. It is my culinary hurdle, that one day I must jump over, but for now I use cube steak to satisfy my cravings for big beef flavor in the form of a steak.


On a shopping trip with my mom, I stumbled upon this cut of meat and decided to try it. I really like it because it's so flat that I don't have to worry about the doneness plus it cooks up fast, and it is easy  to work with. This is certainly a great meal for busy weeknights. I have created this recipe for a  fast, easy way to dress up cube steak. It has a robust beefy flavor, the steak is tender and tastes like it is more of a complex dish, than it actually is.  I am a fan of broths or saucey meals because simmering the meat in these sauces helps it develop that extra layer of flavor and tenderness. Not to mention I love dredging my rice with the sauce of anything I make! If the sauce is too watery for your liking feel free to thicken it up with cornstarch; I personally like the sauce in any shape or form it comes in. One steak per person is enough but take out extra so you can take some for the lunch the next day!

Serves 2-4

1lb or 3-4 pieces Cube Steak
1 medium onion, sliced in rings
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic
2-3 tablespoons cornstarch
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons red wine
2 carrots, chopped diagonally
1 10.5 oz can Beef Consume


1. In a medium saute pan on medium heat, heat oil and butter until melted. Add onions and saute until tender and slightly golden about 8-10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant about 3 minutes. Remove from pan.

2. Salt, pepper and pat cornstarch on both sides of each piece of cube steak.

3. Brown each piece of cube steak individually in the same saute pan on medium to medium high heat, 3 minutes on each side. Set aside.

4. Before adding anything back into the pan, deglaze the pan with a tablespoon of red wine. Add the onion-garlic mixture and the carrots. Cook until wine is absorbed.

5. Add the cube steak to the pan, covering it with the onions and carrots. Pour beef consume into the pan along with the remaining tablespoon of wine.

6. Bring to a low boil and then lower to a simmer. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.

7. Serve with white rice,  mashed potatoes or vegetables. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment