Friday, August 16, 2013

How to Make the Perfect Soft-Boiled Egg

Yum
I can't think of a more simple, yet satisfying breakfast than a perfectly soft-boiled egg. When done right the velvety, creaminess of the yolk is nothing short of amazing. I am craving one right now! A lot of folks are intimidated by making a soft-boiled egg but it is so very easy to make, I'll show you how.

Serves 2-4

4 eggs
6 cups cold water
1 tablespoon white vinegar
Salt & Pepper to taste

Place the eggs in a pan with high sides, add water, bring to a  boil and then immediately lower heat so that it is barely simmering. Simmer for 5 minutes, remove from water immediately/

Place in an egg cup, or in my case, I use shot glasses. With a serrated edge knife, carefully cut across the top 1/4 or so of the egg. The creamy yolk should be visible, if not just poke through with the tip of a spoon.

Salt and pepper to taste.

That's it... pretty easy huh?

Recipe Notes:
I know that traditionally soft-boiled egg is served with toast but I personally like it with a toasted, chewy bagel with butter slathered on it or some crusty french bread. I find that regular toast just buckles under pressure, i.e., dipping deep into the egg and scooping out that golden yolk. I also like to use a grapefruit spoon because it's pointy and slim enough to scrape out every last bit of egg, you better believe I am not letting any of it go to waste!
I cook my egg straight from the fridge, and not at room temperature. If you have them at room temperature I suggest you take them out of the simmering water at around 4 minutes or less.

No comments:

Post a Comment