Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Easy Chicken and Vegetable Lo Mein

Yum
A Wednesdays with Eryka Recipe

Who doesn't enjoy Chinese takeout? It is a dinner saving meal when I don't cook and keeps me from resorting to the usual fast food burger. Chinese takeout gives the illusion of a homemade meal, and it doesn't feel as fattening or filling as a cheeseburger. However, as much as I enjoy picking up the phone or should I say logging onto the Chinese takeout website and making my selections to hungrily await the arrival of my food, I have a recipe that is just as good... better than the food you order AND you can make it in the same amount of time you wait for that happy knock on your door! Lo Mein is one of my favorite, classic Chinese-American  dishes because basically I like pasta and this is in fact a "pasta" dish! The last time I ordered Lo Mein from my local takeout place it was good but it was too salty and lacking that nice crunch from the veggies. This recipe is not overly salty, has great crunch and tastes very fresh. You will notice that I used fresh egg noodles. Luckily, my mom was able to find fresh, organic egg noodles at our grocery store in the refrigerated section. You can certainly use dried egg noodle and cook it like pasta or you can replace the egg noodle with your choice of pasta; however I highly recommend using the egg noodle if possible. The best part of this dish is the use of a coleslaw mix ...  because it saves so much time on having to chop cabbage! You can add or take out as many veggies as you'd like and you can make it all vegetarian by removing the chicken. The possibilities and ease make this a wonderful weeknight meal!

Serves 4-6

6 oz egg noodle or pasta of your choice
2 tablespoon canola oil
2 chicken breasts sliced in 1/4 inch slices
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
2 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon Sriracha hot sauce (optional or add more or less depending on taste)
2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
3 cups (or more) coleslaw mix
1/4 cup bean sprouts
1/4 cup baby corn sliced



1. Heat canola oil in a pan over medium heat. Cook the chicken through and set aside.

2. Cook noodles according to package directions. As they cook, in a small bowl, combine soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, ginger, garlic, hot sauce, cornstarch and sesame oil. Whisk to combine sauce, set aside.

3. In the same pan the chicken was cooked, heat another tablespoon of canola oil over medium heat. Add the coleslaw and saute until crisp (the coleslaw will seem to disappear so you may want to add more).

4. Add the sauce, the chicken and the noodles. Combine together and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Serve!

3 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea! It's so funny. I do the same thing sometimes. I get everyone used to eating it the way I'm making it that we are let down if we go somewhere else and it doesn't take similar or better. I, too, have added some Asian aspects to my dishes, making stir fry recipes and the like because we used to get takeout once upon a time. This is definitely a great alternative. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great Brittnei! Not only do you eat better because you know what goes into your food you also save money :-)

      Delete
  2. Thank you! My boyfriend has been let down by some restaurant/takeout because he likes how I make it much, much more! It's a cook's greatest compliment. Hope you enjoy the recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete