Steak terrifies me. It is my culinary hurdle, that one day I must jump over, but for now I use cube steak to satisfy my cravings for big beef flavor in the form of a steak.
1lb or 3-4 pieces Cube Steak
1 medium onion, sliced in rings
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic
2-3 tablespoons cornstarch
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons red wine
2 carrots, chopped diagonally
1 10.5 oz can Beef Consume
1. In a medium saute pan on medium heat, heat oil and butter until melted. Add onions and saute until tender and slightly golden about 8-10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant about 3 minutes. Remove from pan.
2. Salt, pepper and pat cornstarch on both sides of each piece of cube steak.
3. Brown each piece of cube steak individually in the same saute pan on medium to medium high heat, 3 minutes on each side. Set aside.
4. Before adding anything back into the pan, deglaze the pan with a tablespoon of red wine. Add the onion-garlic mixture and the carrots. Cook until wine is absorbed.
5. Add the cube steak to the pan, covering it with the onions and carrots. Pour beef consume into the pan along with the remaining tablespoon of wine.
6. Bring to a low boil and then lower to a simmer. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
7. Serve with white rice, mashed potatoes or vegetables. Enjoy!