A Two for Tuesday Recipe
1lb ground beef
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 celery, finely diced
1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
1 green or red pepper, chopped
4-5 pieces dried sun dried tomato (optional)
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3-4 fresh tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
5-6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 14.5 oz can stewed tomato
18-20 oz crushed tomato
2 tablespoons red wine
1. In a large sauce pan, heat oil on medium heat. Brown meat. Set aside.
2. To the same sauce pan, add the onion, celery, carrot, pepper and sun dried tomato pieces. Cook until onion is translucent about 8-10 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and fresh tomatoes. Cook for about 3 minutes.
4. Add the oregano and basil leaves. Cook until fragrant.
5. Carefully, add the tomato paste, stewed tomatoes, crush tomato and the red wine. Cook until bubbling for about 3 minutes then lower to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Using an immersion stick blender, run it through the sauce using quick pulses, this will further thicken the sauce. Leave as smooth or as chunky as you like.
7. Add the ground beef back into sauce pan and stew with the sauce for 20-25 minutes. You can stew it for as long as you'd like (check and stir sauce constantly) but it will be ready in the 20-25 minute range.
Serve over your pasta of choice, salad and garlic bread. Enjoy!