Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Zippy Ketchup and Mustard Chicken

Yum
If you're like me and you read the ingredient list when you look up a recipe before you read the recipe then you will notice two interesting ingredients in this weeks recipe: ketchup and mustard! No this is not a burger recipe, nor are they used as the staple condiments that they are. These two popular condiments are used as main condiments, as well as, add the complete flavor of this recipe. I was shocked as well at the use of these two ingredients. A good friend of mine, Miriam, is the inspiration behind this dish. I was visiting with her one afternoon and I happen to bring up the fact that I had defrosted some chicken but had no idea what to do with it. She turned to me and said "Well use ketchup and mustard to cook your chicken in." I can only imagine how my face must have looked because I was taken aback at this suggestion. I kept asking her "Are you sure you mean ketchup and mustard? Like the kind used on burgers???"She laughed and said yes. Boy was she right about this making a great dish. So I present to you, a recipe inspired by my good friend Miriam, with my own twist. I thank her for saving me that night, for it is turned out to be a delicious dish. As they always say, "Don't knock it until you try it!"

Serves 4-6

4-6 bone-in chicken pieces (breast, thigh, drumstick)
2 tablespoons canola oil
salt and pepper
1 large onion, chopped in chunks
5 carrots, chopped in 1/2 inch pieces
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup mustard
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)




1. In a pan, heat oil on medium-high heat. Sear the chicken on both sides about 5 minutes per side (depends on how brown you want your chicken). Remove chicken from pan; set aside.

2. In the same pan on medium heat, cook the onions, carrots and garlic powder. Cook together for about 4 minutes. Add chicken back into the pan.

3. Add in the ketchup and mustard and spread all over the chicken pieces. Add the wine, broth and Worcestershire (if using). Stir all together and bring to a boil.

4. Lower to a simmer. Cover the pan, simmer for about one hour. Serve over a bed of rice. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. My husband doesn't like the boned pieces but I think we could do this with boneless breasts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cassandra, you can certainly use boneless chicken! We use a lot of bone-un chicken because of the added depth of flavor to brings to dishes.

      Delete